passive solar facade system
This Gast Home PSF is an exterior wall facade system that uses panels made of wood and glass to work with the sun, helping to naturally regulate the building’s internal temperature. Traditional facade systems try to completely separate exterior and interior climate conditions by attempting to create an airtight, energy-tight barrier. This passive solar facade invites the sun’s energy into the exterior skin, and uses it to create a thermal buffer.
The core technology for this Passive Solar Facade consists of 1) the solid wood absorber that is adjacent to an insulated wall, 2) an air gap that amplifies the insulation value, and 3) a back-vented glass facade that protects the wood absorber and keeps the heat in. It can be installed over any structural wall, including light frame wood or light-gauge metal stud walls, CMU walls, or the wall of an existing building.
During the winter, the facade’s panels warm up throughout the day by harnessing the sun’s energy thru passive solar heat gain. Once the sun goes down, the wood absorber cools over 4 to 12 hours, providing the building with a thermal blanket that lasts into the night. This cycle dramatically reduces the building’s heat loss.
In the summer a reverse process takes place. With the sun higher in the sky, the solid wood heat-absorber’s carefully angled wood slats shade the facade from the sun, while the back-vented glass draws excessive heat out of the system, causing the absorber to warm up less than in the winter.
These PSF panels are an incredibly sustainable product, and perhaps the most eco-friendly cladding system on the market. This is not only because of the remarkable energy savings it allows, but also because of the low embodied carbon. It is extremely resource efficient, leading to a truly sustainable future. It is also a healthy product for the building occupants.
- Both wood and glass are natural and abundant resources
- All of our woods are sustainably sourced
- The wood is preserved and therefore does not rot like it does when exposed to the elements (i.e. rain or UV radiation)
- Our PSF panels can save up to 85% on carbon emission throughout its life cycle compared to other high-performance wall systems
- We maximize our panel usage to reduce waste.
- The panels reduce heating demand by up to 90%
- Free of health-concerning VOCs
- The panels are 100% recyclable at the end of their life cycle
Gast Home PSF panels provide a unique warmth in an advanced exterior wall system, from the wood behind glass. We also give architects and contractors a wide range of design options, and therefore flexibility between different aesthetics.
- Wood species: These PSFs come standard in Douglas fir or pine. Douglas fir is naturally darker in color, giving it more color variation and a more exclusive look. Pine is lighter in color and provided a distinct aesthetic.
- Color options: The wood in this system can be stained or colored in any color.
- Size: The size of the panels are only limited by the size of glass sheets, but a glass pane should not exceed 9′ in any direction
Textures and visual range
Because wood is a natural material, it will exhibits subtle color variation between panels. To minimize color variation, we take the following steps:
- Climate and humidity controlled curing chambers
- Tight specification and control of appearance
- Precise material dosing to match
- Stringent quality management procedures for incoming raw materials
* Darker colors have greater chance of color variance
Custom PSF panels
Gast Home has developed a wide range of custom textures, patterns, perforations, shapes, and profiles. However we are always looking to innovate and drive forward new technologies, systems, and methods in pursuit of the best solutions for the end user at the best price. Please contact us as soon as possible in the design process, so that our team can assist you in optimizing for material performance, manufacturing process, and budget.
Installation of PSF Panels
Gast Home exterior Passive Solar Facades can be used with back ventilated facade wall assemblies (rainscreen), with or without continuous exterior insulation. They are also compatible with a wide range of sub-frame products, and can be used with curtain wall fabrications with horizontal and continuous rail orientation attached to a sub-frame.
Gast Home offers single-source ordering for several mounting hardware components and systems for our wood panels. We offer rails, clips, face fasteners, and concealed anchors.
- Rails are available in 12′, 16′ and 20′ lengths
- Panels are factory drilled for KEIL undercut anchors and can be shipped with clips attached
- Clips and rails are made from recycled content
Our clip extrusion profile is designed specifically so that KEIL undercut anchors mechanically engage the panel without transferring internal stress.
joints and thermal movement
Joint size is determined by designer preference, installation tolerances, and building movement. Thermal movement in negligible and does not affect joint size. The coefficient of linear expansion of a 36″ panel over a 68 degree Fahrenheit temperature swing is 0.016″ (0.4mm).
Gast Home wood panels are tested according to the methods for ASTM. All test results exceed the requirements for classification of Type A, Grade IV (highest grade).
PROJECT design and technical support
Gast Home designers and project managers can be involved in projects from start thru manufacturing, delivery, and even installation. We can provide expertise at each step in the process, and are always here to help with what you need. Please contact our Technical Support Team with any requirements.